Chicken with apples & honey cook together in this easy recipe. Perfect for Rosh Hashanah, make this in your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
This recipe was created for my Jewish friends for Rosh Hashanah. Rosh Hashanah is the Jewish New Year; this is a food blog not a religious one so I’ll just say that one of the food customs of Rosh Hashanah is to dip apple slices into honey. I love pairing fruit with protein, in particular chicken with apples or pears. Having recently picked up some honey from The Valley Hive, creating this recipe was rather easy.
Apples & Honey Sauce
This recipe is all about the sauce. It’s a combination of broth, honey, unsweetened apple sauce, and a few simple spices. Taste the sauce before you pour into the slow cooker; if you want it sweeter, add more honey. It might not look like it’s enough sauce when you start cooking because all the food will not be submerged. This is normal, trust me there’s plenty of liquid in there. No need to add any more.
Use Any Cut Of Chicken
I purposely left the quantity a little vague with 2-3 pounds of chicken. This means you can use up to 3 pounds without having to make any adjustments to the recipe. What you see here in the pictures are 3 pounds of bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs. Chicken thighs are my go-to with slow cooking or pressure cooking but I understand that’s not the case for everyone. As with a lot of my recipes, you can use your favorite cut of chicken with this recipe whether it be legs, thighs, or even breasts. If you do use white meat, you will need to make adjustments to the cook time. Lower the cook time by at least an hour for the slow cooker and 2 minutes for the Instant Pot (pressure cooker). If you use boneless, skinless meat with the pressure cooker, you do not have to take the time to saute it first. Just add it to the slow cooker raw. If you use skin-on chicken, when it’s done cooking, I suggest you remove it from the appliance and place it under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp the skin.
Other Rosh Hashanah recipes you might enjoy:
I like to use 2 pounds of red potatoes with this recipe to make it more of a complete meal. You can omit the potatoes if you like and just use chicken. To serve this, top the chicken and potatoes with the apple broth.
Use your preferred apple, I used gala apples. For the potatoes I used red potatoes. If you use a non-waxy potato like russet or even sweet potatoes, cut them in larger chunks than usual. This will help them hold their shape during cooking and not turn to mush.
Slow Cooker Chicken with Apples & Honey VIDEO:
- 2–3 lbs chicken
- 2 lbs red potatoes, quartered
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1/2 lb apples, diced
- 1 tbsp oil (for pressure cooker)
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup honey
2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
- Add potatoes and onions to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Add chicken on top of potatoes and onions. Top chicken with diced apples.
- In a small bowl, mix together SAUCE ingredients until well blended. Pour sauce on top of chicken.
- Cook HIGH 2-4 hours or LOW 4-6.
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute. Once hot, add the oil and chicken and sear, few minutes on each side until browned. Remove chicken from the pressure cooker.
- Add onions (and more oil if needed) and cook 3-5 minutes until soft.
- In a small bowl, mix together sauce ingredients. Pour the sauce into the pressure cooker and deglaze the bottom by of the pressure cooker by scraping all the bits off off with a wooden spoon.
- Add chicken back into the Instant Pot. Add potatoes on top.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook 10 minutes.
- Quick release pressure.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you click on one of the product links, I might receive compensation. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.