Paella in the slow cooker? Yes! Chicken and seafood are used in this easy and healthy version of paella that cooks in just a couple of hours time.
Of course you can make paella in the slow cooker. As I’ve said before, I believe almost anything can be made in the slow cooker. There are so many different versions of paella out there: seafood, chicken, combo, vegetarian, etc. Everyone has their own version and/or opinion about what makes a real paella. This one is mine. And it uses uncooked rice!
You can use white or brown rice but I like to use brown. After I uncased my chorizo (I used beef chorizo by the way), I tried to cut it into rounds but that didn’t really work so I just kind of rolled them in to balls with my hands. The seafood goes in at the end but they seafood in general cooks quickly in the slow cooker. Mine always seems to cook in under 10 minutes but standard for seafood is 15-30.Print
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 lb chorizo cut into 1-inch rounds
- 1/4 lb Sizzlefish shrimp
- 1/4 lb mussels (optional)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/4 cup peas
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Add all ingredients EXCEPT chicken thighs and shrimp to the slow cooker.
- Stir to mix well.
- Add the chicken thighs on top.
- Cook HIGH 3-4 or Low 6-8 hours.
- Add shrimp & mussels to the slow cooker. Cook an additional 15-30 minutes or until shrimp are pink and mussels have opened.
This recipe is a bit finicky. Please note, if you overcook it, the rice will quickly turn to mush. It will all depend on how your slow cooker heats so it might take you a time or two making this to get it just right.
I couldn’t decide between chicken and chorizo paella and seafood paella so I went with both.
If you don’t like or can’t eat seafood then leave it out, no modifications to the recipe. I suggest using at least the shrimp if you can. It adds a certain je ne sais quoi.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you click on one of the product links, I might receive compensation. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.