Gnocchi, sausage, and kale cook with a homemade tomato sauce in this simple & hearty slow cooker or electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot) recipe.
What Type Of Gnocchi To Use
This recipe was made to use ready-made gnocchi whether it be dried, frozen, for fresh. I tend to use dried gnocchi with this recipe. You can usually find dried gnocchi in the pasta section of the grocery store. If you use dried gnocchi, rinse it before you add it to the slow cooker or pressure cooker. Regardless of which type of ready-made gnocchi you use, it’s stirred in at the end of cook time with the kale.
I used a generic brand of a mild ground Italian sausage. Get creative! You can use sliced smoked sausage, chorizo, or even ground meat. Yes, you can substitute your preferred ground meat for the sausage whether it be ground beef, turkey, pork, or sausage. I browned my sausage in the skillet first because I wanted to drain the grease from the pan.
If you’re using the slow cooker, I know it might not look like there’s enough sauce to properly cook the gnocchi when you first put everything in the slow cooker but trust me, it is.
I try to pat down the kale and gnocchi so they’re both as fully covered in sauce as they can be. Gnocchi cooks fast. You’re really just cooking the kale until it’s tender to your liking.
Other comfort food recipes you might enjoy:
Instant Pot Gnocchi w/Sausage & Kale VIDEO:
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 16 ounces ready-made or frozen gnocchi
- 1 cup fresh kale, chopped
- 28 ounces diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1/3 cup onion, diced OR 1 tbsp dried onion flakes.
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1–2 garlic cloves, minced (depends on how much you like garlic)
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning (see blog post for homemade blend)
- 1 tsp salt (more or less depending on your taste/diet)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage & cook until browned. Drain the excess grease before adding the sausage to the slow cooker.
- Add sausage and all the ingredients EXCEPT the gnocchi & kale to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 2-4, LOW 4-6.
- Stir in gnocchi & kale and cook and additional 15-30 minutes or until gnocchi is done & kale is tender.
- Set Instant Pot to the high saute setting. Once hot, add ground sausage, onion, & bell pepper and cook 3-5 minutes, crumbling the sausage as it cooks. Add garlic and cook an additional minute. Drain excess fat from the pressure cooker if needed.
- Pour in tomatoes & broth and deglaze the bottom of the pressure cooker by scraping all the bits off with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in gnocchi, Italian seasoning, salt & pepper.
- Close and seal vent. Select manual setting and set time for 4 minutes. When done, natural release pressure for 10 minutes, then quick release remaining pressure.
- Stir in kale and let cook on the warm setting for 5-7 minutes OR an also turn off the pressure cooker and close the lid to cook the kale.
This is great topped with grated Parmesan cheese.
This is the first gnocchi recipe you’ll find here but I’m definitely feeling encouraged so who knows you might see more.
Need an Italian seasoning? Use this homemade one:
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive money if you make a purchase using one of the links. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/