Gnocchi in the slow cooker or Instant Pot? Of course! Gnocchi, sausage, and kale cook in a tomato sauce in this simple and hearty slow cooker recipe. Easy, comfort food!
As you can tell by the lack of pasta recipes on this blog, I don’t eat pasta too often. That’s because I tend to skew paleo, whole30, or even low-carb. I recently saw some gnocchi in the grocery store and on an impulse I bought it. I’ve made this three times in the last month; this impulse buy has turned into one of my favorite recipes.
Sausage – I used a generic brand of a ground Italian sausage. Get creative! You can use sliced smoked sausage, chorizo, or even ground meat. Yes, you can substitute your preferred ground meat for the sausage whether it be ground beef, turkey, pork, or sausage. I browned my sausage in the skillet first because I wanted to drain the grease from the pan. This is a recommended but definitely not a necessary step.
If you don’t have or like kale then you can substitute spinach. I used dried onion flakes but you can use real onion. Dried onion flakes are my thing at the moment so you’ll see them in quite a few recipes coming up.
When using the slow cooker, the gnocchi is added the last 30 minutes of cook time. I know it might not look like there’s enough sauce to properly cook the gnocchi when you first put everything in the slow cooker but trust me, it is.
I try to pat down the kale and gnocchi so they’re both as fully covered in sauce as they can be. Gnocchi cooks fast. You’re really just cooking the kale until it’s tender.Print
Slow Cooker/Instant Pot Sausage, Gnocchi & Kale
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 lb sausage
- 16 ounces gnocchi, uncooked
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium beef or chicken broth
- 1 small onion, diced OR 1 tbsp dried onion flakes.
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced (depends on how much you like garlic)
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning (see blog post for homemade blend)
- 1 tsp salt (more or less depending on your taste/diet)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp oil (for IP)
- Optional step – brown sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat and drain the grease before adding to the slow cooker.
- Add all the ingredients EXCEPT the gnocchi and the kale to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 2-4, LOW 4-6.
- Stir in gnocchi & kale and cook and additional 15-30 minutes or until gnocchi is done & kale is tender.
- Set Instant Pot to the high saute setting. Heat oil.
- Add ground meat, onion, bell pepper, and garlic and cook 3-5 minutes, crumbling the sausage as it cooks. Drain fat from the Instant Pot (optional).
- Stir in broth, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Stir in gnocchi, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt & pepper. Close and seal vent.
- Select manual setting and set time for 4 minutes. Natural release pressure for 10 minutes, then quick release remaining pressure.
- Stir in kale and let cook on the warm setting 15-30 minutes or until tender.
This is great topped with grated Parmesan cheese.
This is the first gnocchi recipe you’ll find here but I’m definitely feeling encouraged so who knows you might see more.
Need an Italian seasoning? Use this homemade one:
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive money if you make a purchase using one of the links. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/