Caprese chicken soup! This low carb recipe uses typical caprese ingredients – tomatoes, basil, mozzarella & can be made in your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
I have been on a caprese salad kick lately, having made one three times in the last week alone. I thought I’d switch things up a bit so here we are with this soup. Plus having just made homemade chicken broth, I was sitting on a couple of pounds of chicken waiting to be used.
Caprese salad is an Italian dish composed of sliced fresh mozzarella, tomatoes & basil, usually drizzled with olive oil and vinegar. It’s simple but oh so good.
Let me clarify, I used leftover cooked chicken but you do not have to use cooked chicken, your chicken can be raw. The diced tomatoes account for the majority of the carbs in the recipe; to lower the carb count in this recipe, swap the tomatoes & broth ratio. I used 28 ounces of diced tomatoes and 2 cups of broth so that means you would use approximately 15 ounces diced tomatoes and 3 1/2 cups of broth.
If you’re using raw chicken you can cut it up beforehand or let it cook and then remove it, shred it, and add it back into the slow cooker or Instant Pot. This is true whether you use thighs or breasts.Print
3/4 – 1 lb chicken boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
28 ounces diced tomatoes
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 tbsp dried basil
1 tbsp Parmesan cheese
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped for garnish
- Add the chicken, diced tomatoes, dried basil, Parmesan cheese garlic, salt, pepper, and broth to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 2-3, LOW 4-6.
- Stir in mozzarella cheese and fresh basil. Cook an additional 15-30 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Add all ingredients except the mozzarella cheese and fresh basil to the Instant Pot.
- Select manual setting and set time for 10 minutes. Quick-release pressure when cook time is completed.
- Set Instant Pot to warm setting. Stir in mozzarella and fresh basil. Cover and let sit on warm 15-30 minutes or until cheese is melted.
If you don’t have fresh basil, use more dried. Eliminate the chicken to make this vegetarian.
This low-carb soup is a good freezer meal. Freeze all the ingredients EXCEPT the mozzarella and fresh basil. I used a 3.5-quart slow cooker for this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on one of the product links, I might receive compensation. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.