Chicken avocado soup is a simple and flavorful soup that’s healthy too. Make this chicken soup in your slow cooker or electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot).
Updated 2019 with Instant Pot instructions
This recipe is basically chicken soup garnished with avocados at the end. The avocados will dissolve into mush if you try cooking it earlier with the soup. Trust me I tried it…it doesn’t work.
What Cut Of Chicken To Use
You can use your preferred cut of chicken in this recipe but I suggest breasts or thighs. I tend to use bone-in chicken breasts or thighs when making soups in general because bone-in meat does better during in the long cook time. The chicken is less likely to overcook and dry out. Having said that, this time I used boneless, skinless chicken and it worked just fine. If you use skin-on, bone-in meat, the meat should be so tender when it’s done cooking that the skin and bones should fall off very easily.
Other chicken soup recipes you might enjoy:
Adding More Salt
One piece of feedback I received from my guinea pig (my husband) that this recipe needed more salt. I can’t bring myself to add more than 1 teaspoon of salt but if you find this a little on the bland side it probably just needs more salt. I would wait until after it’s done cooking before doing so. You never know, you might not think it needs it.
The avocado is more than a garnish in this recipe. The soup was created with flavors that pair well with avocado. Don’t skimp on the avocado! Yes, of course you can use more than 2 avocados. Heck, use as much or as little avocado as you like. Omit the chicken and use vegetable broth and this soup is vegan/vegetarian.
Instant Pot Chicken Avocado Soup VIDEO:
- 1 lb skinless chicken breasts or thighs (boneless or bone-in)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 large roma tomato, diced
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted & sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro for garnish
- Lime wedges for garnish (optional)
- 1 tbsp oil (for pressure cooker)
- Add all ingredients EXCEPT avocados and garnish to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook high 3-4, low 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker. Shred & return chicken to the slow cooker.
- Turn on the Instant Pot and select Sauté. Once hot add oil to the pot.
- Add celery, green onion and cook 3-5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add garlic and cook an additional minute or so.
- Pour broth and deglaze the bottom of the pressure cooker by scraping all the bits off with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the avocados and garnish.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook for 10 minutes. Natural release pressure for 10 minutes then manually release the remaining pressure.
- Remove the chicken and shred the meat. Stir the chicken back into the pressure cooker.
To serve: Add ladles the soup into a bowl. Add a few slices of avocado. Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive money if you make a purchase using one of the links. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/