Crack slaw combines ground meat & coleslaw for an easy low-carb, paleo, and whole30 meal. Make this easy & healthy recipe in your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
Another trifecta (low-carb, paleo, whole30) recipe! I saw Trina make her spicy turkey slaw recipe on her social media and I was immediately intrigued. I had a feeling this would convert to a slow cooker or pressure cooker recipe easily and I was correct. Thank you Trina, this will now be in regular rotation in my household.
I understand why the word crack is in the name of this recipe. This crack slaw is pretty addictive. And so freaking easy. I honestly didn’t know how this was going to turn out but I am pleasantly surprised. I know there are various versions of crack slaw out there. I liked Trina’s version because she kept it simple. I didn’t change any of the ingredients she used, I purposely kept this version basic: meat, coleslaw, broth, onion, garlic, s&p, hot sauce. You, however can jazz this up; the average package of coleslaw is nothing more than cabbage and carrots. Feel free to add whatever vegetables you like to this whether it be bell pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes, etc. Sky is the limit.
I used ground turkey. You can use your preferred ground meat whether it be ground turkey, pork, beef, or chicken. I also used 1 1/5 pounds of ground meat because I like mine meaty. If you want less meat, use 1 pound. One thing to keep in mind that the cabbage will cook down a good deal. The slow cooker or pressure cooker will be full when you start cooking but it will reduce by as much as half when it’s done. As you can tell from the pics.
I like to brown my ground meat before adding it to the slow cooker so I can drain the grease afterwards. This is an optional step. If you’re using a ground meat that is lean enough, you don’t have to worry about draining any fat, just add the meat to the slow cooker raw.
0 pressure really is a setting! I know it looks crazy but trust me, it will work.Print
- 1 lb ground meat
- 14–16 ounces packed coleslaw
- 1/3 cup low-sodium broth for slow cooker ; 1/2 cup for pressure cooker
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp hot sauce or sriracha
Optional step – brown meat in a skillet over medium heat and drain grease before adding to the slow cooker.
- Add ground meat, onion, garlic, broth, salt, pepper, and hot sauce (if using) to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well. Add coleslaw on top.
- Cook HIGH 1-2 hours or LOW 2-4. Stir & serve.
- Turn on the IP and select Sauté. Once hot add oil to the pot. Add the ground meat, onion, and garlic and cook 3-5 minutes, crumbling the meat as it cooks. Turn off the IP and drain the grease if you need to.
- Add the broth, salt, pepper, and hot sauce/sriracha (if using). Stir to mix well. Add coleslaw on top.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set manual (high) pressure to 0. Yes, 0 as in zero cook time. Quick release the pressure. Stir & serve.
This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on one of the product links, I might receive compensation. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.