Buffalo chicken dip is a popular starter for a reason. This low-carb version is packed with your favorite buffalo flavors. Make this crowd pleasing appetizer in your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
Buffalo chicken dip. With the Super Bowl a couple days away, I’m kicking myself for just not getting around to making this dip sooner. There are tons of different variations of buffalo chicken dip out there. This is mine. I pretty much took my Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Wings recipe, swapped out the wings for ground chicken and added cream cheese.
I thought about trying to making a paleo, whole30 version BUT coming off of January whole30 myself, I wanted to use cheese. This version is low-carb and keto friendly but the cheese makes it non-compliant for paleo/whole30. Who knows maybe I’ll make another compliant version sometime soon.
What Type Of Chicken To Use
While I used ground chicken, most of you will probably want to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs. It doesn’t matter which cut of chicken you use, the instructions stay the same – brown the meat until it’s no longer pink before cooking it with the rest of the ingredients. For the slow cooker you do this beforehand, for the pressure cooker, you cook the meat directly in the pot.
Ditch the seasoning packet! I don’t like to preach but instead of using a store-bought ranch dressing mix, try making your own! Here is my homemade dry ranch mix you can use:
Homemade Dry Ranch Mix
2 tbsp dried, chopped onions
1 tbsp parsley
1 tbsp chives
1 tbsp dill weed
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
To reduce some of the fat in this recipe, you can omit the ghee/butter and use low-fat or non-fat cream cheese. I cut the cream cheese into pieces so it would be easier to mix up, no other reason.
The blue cheese and green onion were used as garnish which means they’re both optional ingredients.
- 1 lb pound chicken
- 1 cup hot sauce
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 tbsp ghee (or butter)
- 1 tbsp homemade ranch dressing mix (see blog post)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 green onion, sliced (for garnish)
- 2 ounces blue cheese, optional (for garnish)
- In a small skillet over medium heat, add chicken and cook until no longer pink, approximately 3-5 minutes. Transfer chicken to the slow cooker.
- Add hot sauce, cream cheese, ghee, and homemade ranch seasoning. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 1-2 hours or LOW 2-4.
- Add cheddar cheese on top. Cook an additional 15-30 minutes or until cheese is melted. Stir & serve.
Electric Pressure Cooker (Instant Pot)
- Turn on the IP and select Sauté. Once hot add oil and chicken & cook until the chicken is no longer pink. If you’re using ground chicken, crumble it as it cooks.
- Add hot sauce, cream cheese, ghee, and homemade ranch seasoning. Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook for 15 minutes. Quick release pressure. If using chicken breast or thighs, remove the chicken & shred it. Add it back to the pot.
- Stir in cheddar cheese and cook on WARM until melted.
Cook time based on slow cooker.
I used a 3.5-quart slow cooker but you can double this recipe to feed a larger crowd.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive money if you make a purchase using one of the links. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.