This slow cooker low carb version of turkey tetrazzini uses spaghetti squash instead of pasta and a light & healthy homemade sauce.
I intended to make this with leftover Thanksgiving turkey but I never got around to it. Now that I have some leftover turkey from Christmas I couldn’t pass up the opportunity. Wanting to keep things healthy, I created a homemade sauce for this rather than using a ‘cream of’ soup of some sorts. I also used spaghetti squash versus pasta. The fastest way to cook spaghetti squash is to pierce it all over with a fork and then pop it in the microwave. It’ll be done in less than 10 minutes depending on the size of your squash.
This recipe does use cheese and if you like cheese I recommend you use lots of it. While I don’t cook with cheese often due to dietary restrictions, cheese truly does make most dishes better in my opinion. This is what it your slow cooker will look like after you pour in the sauce and add the Parmesan cheese. Now it’s ready to cook.
If you don’t have leftover turkey you can substitute chicken.Print
- 1 lb turkey (or chicken breast), cooked & diced
- 2 lb spaghetti squash, cooked
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (optional)
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp almond flour
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- Using a fork, shred spaghetti squash into spaghetti-like strands. Add strands, chicken breasts, onion, mushrooms, garlic and seasonings to the slow cooker.
- Stir to mix well.
- In a medium saucepan, heat ghee over until melted.
- Whisk in almond flour and heat until bubbling.
- Slowly pour in milk, whisking the entire time. Whisk until blended.
- Slowly add in 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, stirring the entire time. Whisk until cheese is melted, a few minutes.
- Once melted, turn off heat.
- Pour sauce mixture into the slow cooker.
- Stir again to mix well.
- Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-6.
- If using, add optional 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese to the top, cover and cook an additional 15 minutes on the low setting.