This healthy and simple low-carb, paleo, and whole 30 compliant one-pot meal consists of spaghetti squash, ground meat, diced tomatoes and fresh herbs.
As I mentioned in my previous post, we are officially a whole 30 household! For the next 30 days at least. In the past both my husband and I have done whole 30 separately but never together. So this entire month I’ll be mixing in a lot of whole 30 compliant recipes in with my normal healthy recipes. Most of my recipes are paleo and whole 30 anyway so you probably won’t be able to tell the difference.
For the ground meat, you can use 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of meat. I like to use 2 lbs of meat so mine is extra ‘meaty’ but this works well without any modifications using 1 pound as well. Bison, beef, pork, chicken, turkey, etc. I used ground beef but you should use your preferred meat.
This is as simple as it gets. Depending on how you cook your spaghetti squash, this entire recipe can be done in less than 20 minutes. The fastest way to cook spaghetti squash is to pierce it a few times and pop it in your microwave for 5-10 minutes. My 2 pound squash microwaved to soft in 7 minutes. It all depends on the size of your squash and how your microwave heats. While the spaghetti squash cooks, brown your meat. After that, all you’re really doing is adding everything together and then heating it through. If you don’t have store-bought Italian seasoning to use, here is one for you:
For the fresh herbs I like to use parsley. The sky is the limit you can load this up with other vegetables like onion, mushrooms and bell peppers. Of course if you don’t have fresh herbs, you can use dried!
Here’s my slow cooker version of this recipe. The spaghetti squash cooks right in the slow cooker with the meat Slow Cooker Spaghetti Squash, Meat & Tomatoes !Print
- 2 lb spaghetti squash, cooked
- 1 1/2–2 lbs ground meat
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs of your choice (parsley, basil, thyme, rosemary)
- Cook spaghetti squash using your preferred method.
- In a large skillet, brown ground meat. Drain grease.
- Rake a fork back and forth across the squash to remove its flesh into spaghetti-like strands. Add spaghetti squash strands, diced tomatoes, garlic, seasonings and fresh herbs to the skillet.
- Cook until meat is finished cooking and all ingredients are heated through.
I used 28 ounces of diced tomatoes but you can also use a lower amount of 15 ounces too.