This healthy, low-carb, paleo, and whole 30 compliant slow cooker version of cabbage rolls is easy to make and perfect to serve any night of the week.
Yes, you read that correctly, this recipe is low-carb, paleo AND whole 30. In other words, this slow cooker recipe is HEALTHY. Of course:-) And super easy. Cabbage rolls look hard but they’re not. The prep isn’t too intensive and I didn’t even pre-boil my cabbage.
I riced my cauliflower in a food processor. You can also use a hand grater but a food processor works better in my opinion. Just add a chopped head cauliflower to the processor and pulse until it’s the consistency of rice. My head of cauliflower was pretty big. I used 2 cups then saved the rest for later. I did NOT cook the cauliflower. You can use your preferred ground meat. Mine is currently grass-fed beef from 5280Meat. If you don’t eat red meat, this is a good recipe to use lean or extra lean ground turkey in because it won’t dry out as easy in the slow cooker than it would in the oven. If you don’t have a store-bought Italian seasoning blend to use, here is one for you from Allrecipes.com: 2 tablespoons dried basil, 2 tablespoons dried oregano, 2 tablespoons dried rosemary, 2 tablespoons dried marjoram, 2 tablespoons dried cilantro, 2 tablespoons dried thyme, 2 tablespoons dried savory, 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes. In a food processor, combine all ingredients and blend for 1 minute, or until desired consistency is achieved.
Wait, I didn’t boil my cabbage? Nope. BUT there’s a caveat. I used kool cabbage from Melissa’s Produce. Kool cabbage is sweeter than regular cabbage and requires less time to cook. The heads are not as tight as globe cabbage so the individual leaves are much softer in texture. I heated the leaves up in the microwave for 30 seconds and they were ready to roll.
- 1 lb ground meat
- 1 head kool cabbage
- 1½ - 2 cups (1 small head) cauliflower rice
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning or oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- In a large bowl, mix together ground meat, cauliflower rice, onion, seasoning, salt, pepper and garlic.
- Take your prepared cabbage leaf (see blog post)
- Fill each leaf with approximately ¼ cup of the meat/cauliflower mixture.
- Roll up each leaf like a burrito.
- Spoon a thin layer of diced tomatoes in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add the cabbage rolls, seam-side down.
- Pour the rest of the diced tomatoes on top.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-6
You can also freeze these for later use! This made 12 cabbage rolls for me.