Short on time but still want cabbage rolls? Make them unstuffed! This easy recipe can be made in your slow cooker or electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot).
Updated 2019 with Instant Pot instructions
My Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls recipe is one of my most popular recipes on this blog. Recently someone asked if I had a version that wouldn’t require her to roll the cabbage rolls. Voila, here you go with this unstuffed cabbage roll recipe.
What Type Of Ground Meat To Use
I used ground beef but you can use ground beef, turkey, chicken, pork or sausage. For the slow cooker, I like to take the time to browned my beef beforehand so I can drain the excess grease. If you’re using a very lean meat, you might find that you don’t need to take this step.
Turn This Into Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup
Unstuffed cabbage roll soup is a popular recipe. I’m a little souped-out at the moment but you can easily turn this recipe into a soup by simply adding an additional 5 cups of low-sodium beef broth.
Using Cauliflower Rice
This is low-carb, paleo, whole30 recipe so I used cauliflower rice instead of traditional white rice. You can use fresh or frozen cauliflower rice. I prefer to use fresh but frozen works too. Most times I use a full two cups of riced cauliflower, but sometimes I like to only 1 cup. What you see in the pics and video is 2 cups of cauliflower rice. Anything more than 2 cups you will need to add more broth. While I have not tried using regular white rice, I imagine this recipe would work if you stirred cooked white rice into the dish after it’s done cooking.
Other cabbage recipes you might enjoy:
Instant Pot Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls VIDEO:
- 1 head cabbage, chopped (approximately 4 cups)
- 1 lb ground meat
- 1–2 cups cauliflower rice
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp parsley
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground meat and cook until no longer pink, crumbling as you go. Drain grease.
- Add ground meat along with all ingredients EXCEPT the cauliflower rice to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 3-4 hour or LOW 6-8.
- Add cauliflower rice and cook an additional 15-30 minutes or until rice is tender.
Electric Pressure Cooker (Instant Pot)
- Set pressure cooker to the high saute setting. Once hot, add oil.
- Add ground meat & onion and cook until browned, 3-5 minutes, crumbling the meat as it cooks. Drain excess grease if needed.
- Add all other ingredients EXCEPT the cauliflower rice. Stir to mix well.
- Add lid, close and seal vent. Select manual setting and set time for 7 minutes. When cook time is completed, natural release pressure 5 minutes then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Open lid & stir in cauliflower rice.
- Add lid, close and seal vent. Select manual setting and set time for 0 (zero) minutes. Quick release pressure.
A modified version of this recipe first appeared n my second cookbook, The Low Sodium Slow Cooker Cookbook.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you click on one of the product links, I’ll might receive compensation. For more about my disclosure policy see heres: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.