This simple and healthy pumpkin bisque is paleo, whole30, and vegan. Make this bisque in your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
Bisque. Another perfect slow cooker recipe. I’m all about recipes that calls for you throwing ingredients in and walking away for a few hours. It’s pumpkin season so I was thinking pumpkin and of course healthy so here you go.
Yes, you can use light coconut milk but the finished product won’t be as creamy as a bisque should be. Full-fat works better.
After everything is done cooking, pour the entire contents of the slow cooker into a blender or food processor and process until smooth. OR you can simplify things but using a Hamilton Beach 2-Speed Hand Blender immersion blender directly in the slow cooker base like I did. It will blended it in a matter of minutes and is a lot less messy.Print
- 15 ounces pure pumpkin
- 15 ounces full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup low-sodium broth
- 1 small onion, cut into quarters
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 4 pieces bacon, cooked & crumbled (optional)
- Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-6.
- Using a blender or immersion blender, process until smooth.
- Turn on the Instant Pot and select Sauté. IF using bacon: Once hot, add bacon and cook until done. Remove bacon and set aside. Add onion and garlic and cook for a 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the broth, and using a wooden spoon scrape well the bottom of the Instant Pot to remove any bits that stuck to it, make sure you scrape it well to avoid burning during cooking.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the IP. Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook for 8 minutes.
- Natural release pressure for 5 minutes then manually the remaining pressure.
I like to add 4 strips of bacon to this – 2 into the actual soup then another 2 strips for garnish. Adding the bacon in while it cooks add a bit of a smokey flavor in my opinion. If you add bacon the pumpkin bisque will still be paleo & whole30 (if you use compliant bacon) but obviously no longer vegan.
If you’re a bread eater, serve this with bread! Obviously not paleo or whole30. I used a 3.5-quart slow cooker for this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive money if you make a purchase using one of the links. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/