Grab your favorite sausage with bell peppers & onions in this flavorful paleo, whole30, and low-carb recipe. Make this in your Instant Pot or slow cooker!
I used to make this a lot in my dutch oven before I got into slow cooking. As with most dutch oven recipes, it converted very easily to a slow cooker or Instant Pot (electric pressure cooker). For the sauce I used diced tomatoes but you can use crushed tomatoes, it doesn’t matter. Use what you have. Instant Pot recipes need at least 1 cup of liquid. The 15 ounces of diced or crushed tomatoes along with the broth is more than enough. You don’t need to add more broth but if you want to make this more of a soup, add an additional cup.
This is one of those recipes that will have your entire house smelling delicious once it gets cooking. It’s combination of the bell peppers, onion, tomato & spices. The bell peppers are kind of what sparked me to make this. This calls for 3 bell peppers. I used multi-colored to keep it pretty but you do not have to do that. Three regular green bell peppers will achieve the same taste.
I’m leaving the sausage amount a little vague with 1-2 lbs because you can use up as little as 1 and as much a 2. I used 1 1/2 lbs. Whether you use 1 lb or 2, you will not need to double anything else in the recipe. When it comes to the sausage, use your preferred brand. You can slice up the sausages like I did or leave it them whole. For a list of whole30 compliant sausages, see HERE.
It might not look like there is enough sauce but trust me, there is. The food will not be fully submerged when it starts cooking.
See the above and below pics – plenty of liquid in the slow cooker & Instant Pot after it cooks huh?
Beef sausage, pork sausage, smoked turkey sausage, chicken apple sausage, you can even use kielbasa.Print
- 16–20 ounces uncooked or cooked sausage
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 ounces diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp of oregano
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth (or water)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp oil of your choice (for pressure cooker)
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-6 hours.
- Set Instant Pot to the high saute setting. Heat oil; add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4-6 minutes.
- Pour in broth and deglaze the bottom of the pressure cooker by scraping all the bits off with a wooden spoon. Stir in remaining ingredients, close and seal vent.
- Select manual setting. Adjust pressure to high, and set time for 7 minutes. Quick-release pressure when cook time is completed.
Nutritional values were calculated WITHOUT sausage
- Category: Main
How to serve this? I served mine with cauliflower rice. But it will all depend on your dietary restrictions.
For whole30, paleo, or low-carb I suggest serving this over zoodles or rice/mashed cauliflower. Other options include stirring in some cooked pasta.
Since I have no idea which brand of sausage you will use, nutritional values were calculated WITHOUT sausage. Please take that into consideration.