Cajun spices cook with chicken and sausage in this light and healthy (paleo/whole30) creole-inspired slow cooker or pressure cooker recipe.
If you can’t tell, I love Cajun recipes! I know there are a lot of chicken & sausage recipes out there. This is my versions. It’s super easy to make and you can serve it with so many different sides.
Updated 2019 with Instant Pot instructions
With Mardi Gras coming up, I’m updating some of my favorite Cajun/Creole recipes. I don’t go out and party for Fat Tuesday but I like to use the holiday to eat Cajun food. Not that I need an excuse.
You can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs. I used chicken breasts. As you can see, I didn’t cut them up at all. Since they’re being shredded anyway, you don’t need to cut them up. You don’t have to shred them of course. You can leave the chicken whole. If are going to shred the meat, you’ll know this is done when the chicken shreds easily.
You can use your preferred sausage!I actually used a used a smoked chicken sausage. For a list of whole30 compliant sausages, see here. Need a Cajun seasoning? Use this one:
Looking for other Mardi Gras / Fat Tuesday recipes? Check out these:Print
Slow Cooker Cajun Chicken & Sausage (Paleo, Whole30)
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 12 ounces sausage, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cloves garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 24 ounces diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning (see blog post for homemade)
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 3-4 or LOW 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker. Shred with 2 forks and place shredded chicken back in the slow cooker.
- Turn on the IP and select Sauté. Once hot add oil and sausage and cook a few minutes until sausage is browned. Remove sausage from the IP.
- Add chicken and sear on each side. Remove chicken from the IP.
- Add bell pepper, onion, and celery to the IP and cook 3-5 minutes or until soft. Pour broth into the Instant Pot, scraping off any browned bits from the bottom. Add garlic, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and Cajun seasoning . Stir to mix well.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook for 5 minutes (7 minutes if using chicken thighs). Quick release pressure.
- Remove chicken from the IP. Shred with 2 forks and place shredded chicken back in the slow cooker.
I’m basic. I usually eat this straight up without serving it over anything, just with a simple salad. What can I say, it was so good I couldn’t be bothered with anything else. But that’s just me. There are so many options to serve this over: cauliflower rice, zoodles, white or brown rice, couscous, in a tortilla or lettuce wraps.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive money if you make a purchase using one of the links. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.