Holiday season means entertaining. This slow cooker cider recipe using all-natural fruit will have your house smelling amazing while adding a nice ‘spike’ to your punch.
Let’s be clear – by spiked, I mean alcoholic. This is an alcoholic beverage so this is an adults-only post. Funny my first beverage post contains rum because I actually don’t drink hard alcohol. Just wine. Anyway, with Christmas right around the corner I think it’s time I venture into some holiday treats. If alcohol isn’t your thing, simply omit the rum from this recipe and you’ll still have a healthy, homemade cider.
Here is an optional step – once everything has cooked in the slow cooker for a few hours, to release more flavor into the cider you can open the lid (yes, this is usually a no-no) and mash the fruit up into the liquid using the back of a large spoon. The fruit should be so soft that it should mash easily. If not, let it cook some more. Yes the cider will be full of fruit pulp but you have to strain it anyway. For the alcohol, try to find a spiced rum and definitely don’t get an expensive bottle. This is going in cider doesn’t need to be anything fancy. Now the important part – not what kind of rum but how much rum to use? How buzzed do you want to get? For me, most times I use 10 ounces.
- 6 apples, cored & sliced
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 orange, sliced
- ¼ cup organic cassava syrup, organic maple syrup or organic honey
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 3-4 cinnamon sticks
- 12 ounces spiced rum
- Add apples, sweetener of your choice, cranberries, orange, cinnamon stick and nutmeg the slow cooker.
- Pour in enough water to cover all the ingredients. Approx 6-7 cups.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-6.
- Strain fruit using mesh strainer. Pour strained cider back into the slow cooker.
- Stir in rum. Cover and cook an additional 30 minutes.
Did I mention how good your house will smell? AAMMAAZZINNGG! Even if you don’t appreciate the drink, you’ll appreciate the smell.