There are only 5 ingredients in this simple chicken tacos recipe. Make these tacos in your slow cooker or electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot).
What Are Tacos?
Tacos are a traditional Mexican street made up of hand-sized corn or flour tortillas stuffed with a filling. The tortillas are folded around the filling and eaten by hand. Everyone has a different taco recipe; they can be made so many different ways. Chicken, beef, vegetarian, seafood, etc. This recipe is is my basic chicken tacos recipe using less than 5 ingredients.
Chicken Breasts or Thighs?
You can use either boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs for this recipe. I tend to use chicken breasts. You’ll know your chicken is done when it shreds easily. If it’s not at that point, keep cooking. BUT if you’re using chicken breasts be careful; white meat is lean and will quickly overcook and dry out if cooked too long.
before (slow cooker)
Other Mexican recipes you might enjoy:
Salsa or Diced Tomatoes?
While you can use either salsa or diced tomatoes, I prefer to use my homemade salsa with this recipe. But I’ll leave it up to personal preference. Either use 2 cups of salsa or use 15 ounces of diced tomatoes.
How To Serve The Tacos
Common taco garnishes include pico de gallo/salsa, guacamole, sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and jalapenos. The sky is seriously the limit when it comes to taco garnishes. You will want to use what fits your dietary needs.
Lettuce wraps: If you’re paleo or whole30 you will need to skip the tortilla and use something like lettuce wraps. If you’re following a low-carb/keto lifestyle, you can add cheese to your lettuce wraps.
I like to use my homemade taco seasoning. I won’t preach because I think we all know by now that homemade seasoning blends are better than store-bought packet that are full of ingredients you can’t pronounce. Here is my easy homemade taco seasoning:
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos VIDEO:
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 ounces diced green chiles
- 2 cups salsa or diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning (see blog post for homemade)
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth (for pressure cooker)
- Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-6.
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker & shred. Stir the chicken back into the slow cooker.
Electric Pressure Cooker (Instant Pot)
- Add all the ingredients to the pressure cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook 8 minutes for fresh chicken or 12 minutes if using frozen. When done, quick release pressure.
- Remove chicken from the pressure cooker & shred. Stir the chicken back into the pressure cooker.
nutritional info does not include garnishes
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive money if you make a purchase using one of the links. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.