There are only 5 ingredients in this slow cooker or pressure cooker steak fajitas recipe. This easy yet delicious low-carb, paleo, and whole30 dish is perfect any day of the week.
I’m all about simplicity these days so there are only 5 ingredients in this recipe and they are: beef, bell pepper, onion, salsa, and *fajita seasoning.
What Beef To Use
I used a 2 pounds of Felton Angus Beef flank steak that I sliced into strips. The beauty about the slow cooker and electric pressure cooker Instant Pot) is that you can use your preferred cut of beef in this recipe. If not flank steak, other suggestions include sirloin, flat iron, chuck roast, rump, flank steak, beef stew meat, etc. You can substitute chicken or pork instead of beef if you like. Heck I have even made these fajitas using a large turkey breast. The concept stays the same, just swap out the protein.
The vegetables in this recipe are listed are 1-2 bell pepper and 1 onion. I always use 2 bell peppers, usually 1 green and 1 red to be fancy. You can use 1 or 2 bell peppers of your choice. For the onions, I have used red onion, yellow onion, and white onion and I seriously don’t have a preference. Like the bell pepper, use the onion of your choice.
Homemade Fajita Seasoning
If you use my homemade seasoning blend then technically this is more than 5 ingredients. I won’t preach because I used to use store-bought seasoning packets myself. But in general, I encourage you to ditch the store-bought seasoning packets. Below is my go-to homemade fajita seasoning. You probably have all these spices in your pantry already. This makes about 2 1/2 tbsp which is equivalent to 1 packet of store-bought. I make a big batch and keep a mason jar full of it in my cupboard.
Other Mexican recipes you might enjoy:
Salsa is a great substitute for the diced tomatoes. If you’re looking for a salsa, slow cooker/Instant Pot salsa is a great option! Otherwise use 15 ounces of your favorite brand. You can even use salsa verde.
Instant Pot Steak Fajitas (using homemade seasoning) VIDEO:
How To Serve The Fajitas
My go-to is lettuce wraps. Other suggestions are tortillas or over rice (regular, brown, or riced cauliflower). You can also use this as filling for burritos or even enchiladas.Print
- 2 lbs beef, sliced
- 1–2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp fajita seasoning (see blog post for homemade mix)
- 1 tbsp oil (for electric pressure cooker)
- 1/4 cup beef broth or water (for electric pressure cooker)
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours, LOW 4-6.
- Turn on the IP and select Sauté. Once hot add oil and beef to the pot. Cook 2-4 minutes or until beef is browned. Remove beef.
- Add onions & bell peppers. Cook 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Pour in broth or water and deglaze the bottom of the pressure cooker by scraping all the bits off with a wooden spoon.
- Add beef back to the pot along with diced tomatoes and fajita seasoning. Stir to mix well.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure for 9 minutes. Quick release the pressure. Stir & serve.
This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on one of the product links, I might receive compensation. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.