This butternut squash soup slow cooker recipe is both paleo and whole 30 friendly. Sit back and enjoy the aroma of this healthy comfort food.
This butternut squash soup recipe is known as Jorik’s world-famous butternut squash soup in my household. Because it’s not my recipe, it’s Jorik’s. Jorik is my husband’s long-time friend. I first tasted his soup a few years ago while visiting for Thanksgiving. Correction, I first got hooked on his butternut squash soup then.
This past Thanksgiving, Jorik was kind enough to give me a first-hand lesson in making his soup. He even filled me in on his key ingredient – curry! While his version was cooked on the stove, it was destined to be converted to the slow cooker. I came home from Thanksgiving knowing what I had to do. Then I sat on it. For almost a month. Finally I broke out my slow cooker and here it is for the very first post of 2017.
As with most borrowed recipes, I made a couple minor tweaks. Nothing too major. First I used white sweet potatoes rather than Idaho potatoes like the original recipe. Second, I did not add the chicken bouillon cubes to the stock. I made these two minor adjustments in order to keep the dish paleo and whole 30 compliant. I have to admit I did compromise the flavor just a bit. It’s a not as flavorful and a not as hearty as Jorik’s. But still good of course.
I used Hamilton Beach 2-Speed Hand Blender immersion blender directly in the slow cooker base. If you don’t have an immersion blender you can pour it into a regular blender (careful, it will be hot) or use a food processor. The coconut milk will thicken it up a bit. You don’t have to use the entire can of coconut milk. Personally I like to save some to use as topping along with the remaining crumbled bacon.Print
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup (Paleo,Whole30)
Regardless of the quantity, use a 2:1 ratio of squash to potatoes
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 20 mins
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2 lb butternut squash, peeled & diced
- 1 lb sweet potatoes or potatoes, peeled & diced (Jorik’s original recipe uses Idaho potatoes)
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 15 ounces coconut milk
- 6-8 pieces bacon, cooked & crumbled (split into 2 halves)
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp curry
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes (Jorik’s original recipe)
- Add butternut squash, potatoes, half of the bacon crumbles, fresh cilantro, curry, salt, pepper, cumin and nutmeg to the slow cooker.
- If you are following Jorik’s original recipe then add in the 2 chicken bouillon cubes as well.
- Add enough water to cover the ingredients.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours/LOW 4-6 or until butternut squash and potatoes are tender.
- Using a blender or food processor, blend down soup to desired consistency.
- Stir in coconut milk.
- Top each bowl with remaining crumbled bacon.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive money if you make a purchase using one of the links. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/