Chicken cacciatore is a classic Italian dish. Make this easy chicken dish in your slow cooker or electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot).
Updated 2019 with electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot) instructions
There are many different versions of chicken cacciatore both in Italy & America. This is mine. It’s a true slow cooker recipe where you throw everything in the slow cooker, stir, and let it cook. If you’re using your electric pressure cooker, it’s a little more work but it’s still pretty easy.
Using Chicken Thighs
You can use boneless, bone-in, skinless or skin-on chicken thighs in this recipe. In my opinion, this works better with dark meat so it’s written that way. I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Yes you can use chicken breasts if you like. White meat is easy to overcook, particularly in the slow cooker. If you use chicken breasts, lower the cook time by at least an hour for the slow cooker and 2 minutes for the electric pressure cooker.
I used a combination of diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. You can double up on diced tomatoes or even used crushed tomatoes. Use what you have!
Other Italian recipes you might enjoy:
How To Serve The Chicken Cacciatore
What to serve this with? Depends on your dietary restrictions of course. Over zoodles, mashed or riced cauliflower, with potatoes, mashed potatoes, couscous, pasta, etc. I like to serve mine over zoodles. There will be a lot of juices in the slow cooker when this is done cooking. I love it. If I can suggest one thing it’s to pour some of the juices over the chicken before serving.
It might not look like there’s enough sauce when the food starts cooking but trust me, there is! See the before & after pics for proof.
- 3 lbs chicken thighs
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 15 ounces crushed or diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 4 ounces olives
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-6.
Electric Pressure Cooker (Instant Pot)
- Turn on the Instant Pot and select Sauté. Once hot add oil to the pot.
- Add onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms and cook for a 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add garlic and cook an additional minute. Turn off pressure cooker.
- Add tomato sauce & diced tomatoes and water and deglaze the bottom of the pressure cooker by scraping all the bits off with a wooden spoon. Stir in olives, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper.
- Add chicken. Stir to mix well.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set HIGH pressure for 11 minutes. When done, natural release pressure for 5 minutes then manually the remaining pressure.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you click on one of the product links, I’ll might receive compensation. For more about my disclosure policy see heres: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.