Olives and capers star in this healthy and easy low-carb, paleo, and whole30 chicken recipe. Make this in your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
This recipe is inspired by Lady Behind the Curtain’s Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken recipe. I pinned her original recipe to one of my Pinterest boards years ago. If you can’t tell from here and/or my social media pages, I LOVE Mediterranean food. When I saw this recipe I knew it was right up my alley. I had capers and olives so here we are.
I have always used skin-on chicken when making this. No reason for it, just personal preference. As with the majority of my recipes it doesn’t matter what cut of chicken you use for this. I can be skin-on, skinless, bone-in, boneless, etc. If you use white meat, lower the cook time by an hour or more so it doesn’t overcook and dry out. The meat won’t be fully submerged when it starts cooking. Don’t worry, it’s supposed to be like this. I don’t like to add a lot of salt to this because I think it’s salty enough from the caper and olive juice but that’s just me. You may want to add more than 1/4 tsp.Print
Slow Cooker/Instant Pot Chicken, Olives & Capers (Low-Carb, Paleo, Whole30)
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 2 lbs chicken
- Handful fresh basil for garnish (optional)
- 2 tsp oil (for IP)
- 5.75 oz jar green olives, with juice
- 3.5 oz jar capers, with juice
- 1/3 cup water or low-sodium chicken broth (1 cup for IP)
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Add chicken to the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, mix together sauce ingredients. Pour over chicken.
- Cook HIGH 2-4 hours or or LOW 4-6 ( or until chicken is done).
- Top basil on top before serving.
- Set Instant Pot to the high saute setting. Heat oil; add chicken and cook, approx 3-5 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, close and seal vent.
- Select manual setting and set time for 12 minutes. Quick release pressure.
What to serve this with? There are so many options. This is great over rice whether it be cauliflower rice or regular white or brown rice, quinoa, couscous, potatoes, sweet potatoes, zoodles, etc.
If you like Mediterranean food, check out my Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken.