Capers and olives enrich this easy slow cooker recipe. Simple yet flavorful, this dish will have you dreaming of the Mediterranean.
This recipe is inspired by Lady Behind the Curtain’s Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken recipe. I pinned her original recipe to one of my Pinterest boards a couple of years ago and I’ve been making it ever since. If you can’t tell from here and/or my social media pages, I LOVE Mediterranean food. If you follow me on Instagram in particular you’ll see how often I am eating at Gaby’s Mediterranean on Venice. As good as Gaby’s is, there’s nothing better than home-cooked meal. When I saw this recipe I knew it was right up my alley.
I have always used skin-on chicken when making this. No reason for it, just personal preference. As with the majority of my recipes it doesn’t matter what cut of chicken you use for this. I can be skin-on, skinless, bone-in, boneless, etc. As you can see from the pic above, I browned the chicken in a couple teaspoons of OMghee first. While this is not a necessary step, I highly recommend it if you are using skin-on chicken. Substitutions. I always have a few substitutions when I make this recipe. Unless it’s 100% necessary, I don’t believe in buying food specifically for a recipe if there is a comparable ingredient already in-house. For example if I don’t have dried cranberries then I’ll use raisins or even figs. Sometimes I’ll swap in homemade chicken broth or store-bought low-sodium broth instead of water. See what I’m getting at here? Use what you have folks. What to serve this with? There are so many options. This is great over brown rice, quinoa or couscous. If you want to keep this paleo or whole 30 then I suggest riced or mashed cauliflower, mashed sweet potatoes or zoodles.
- 2 lbs chicken (any cut, I used skin-on thighs & legs)
- 5.75 oz jar green olives, with juice
- 3.5 oz jar capers, with juice
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey (omit for whole30)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1½ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp ghee
- Handful fresh basil
- If using skin-on chicken, I recommend this step: melt ghee in a large pan over medium high heat. Add skin-side down and brown a few minutes.
- In the bottom of slow cooker add water, honey, vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic, capers, cranberries & olives.
- Stir to mix well. Add chicken to the slow cooker and scoop some of the olive/caper liquid on top.
- Cook HIGH 2.5-3.5 or LOW 5-7 hours (until chicken is done).
- Toss basil on top before serving.
If you like Mediterranean food, check out my Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken.