Olives and capers star in this healthy and easy low-carb, paleo, and whole30 chicken recipe. Make this in your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
This recipe is inspired by Lady Behind the Curtain’s Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken recipe. I pinned her original recipe to one of my Pinterest boards years ago. If you can’t tell from here and/or my social media pages, I LOVE Mediterranean food. When I saw this recipe I knew it was right up my alley. I had capers and olives so here we are.
What Type Of Chicken To Use
I have always used bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs and/or legs when making this. No reason for it, just personal preference. As with the majority of my recipes it doesn’t matter what cut of chicken you use for this. I can be skin-on, skinless, bone-in, boneless, etc. If you use white meat, lower the cook time by an hour or more so it doesn’t overcook and dry out. For the slow cooker you do not need to add any broth, the juice from the olives and capers will be enough trust me. The meat won’t be fully submerged when it starts cooking. Don’t worry, it’s supposed to be like this. For the pressure cooker (Instant Pot), if you’re using boneless chicken, you do not need to brown it first, just add it in raw.
I don’t like to add a lot of salt to this because I think it’s salty enough from the caper and olive juice but that’s just me. Of course you can use more salt if you want.Print
- 2 lbs chicken
- Handful fresh basil for garnish (optional)
- 2 tsp oil (for IP)
- 5.75 oz jar green olives, with juice
- 3.5 oz jar capers, with juice
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup water or low-sodium chicken broth (1 cup for IP)
- Add chicken to the slow cooker. Top with olives (and juice) and capers (and juice).
- Pour red wine on top and sprinkle on oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Cook HIGH 2-4 hours or or LOW 4-6 ( or until chicken is done).
- Top basil on top before serving.
- Set Instant Pot to the high saute setting. Once hot, add oil and chicken and brown chicken, skin-side down approx 3-5 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Stir in the broth. Deglaze the bottom by of the pressure cooker by scraping all the bits off off with a wooden spoon. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Close lid and seal vent.
- Select pressure cook/manual setting and set time for 12 minutes. Quick release pressure when done.
What to serve this with? There are so many options. This is great over rice whether it be cauliflower rice or regular white or brown rice, quinoa, couscous, potatoes, sweet potatoes, zoodles, etc.
If you like Mediterranean food, check out my Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken.