This homemade version of Benihana’s famous onion soup is not only super easy but healthy too. Add in chicken to take it from appetizer to flavorful meal.
Benihana. One of my favorite restaurants. Not known for being healthy but you have to live sometimes. If you’re curious, I always get the same thing, Splash-n-Meadow. Anyone else? I love the chicken fried rice, the steak, the shrimp BUT the best part to me food-wise is the soup and the salad. The salad dressing must have crack in it. It’s that good. I will do a copycat dressing but first up is the soup.
Benihana’s soup is really just Japanese onion soup. They do not use chicken in their soup, I added that because I wanted a meal not just a soup appetizer. Japanese onion soup is very easy to make; and really being about the broth I knew it would be a great slow cooker recipe. Another throw everything in, including the raw chicken and let it cook all day. You can use cooked chicken if you have some leftover. If so then add the cooked chicken in during the last 30 minutes of cook time along with the mushrooms, ghee, and green onions. Don’t eat meat? Don’t use chicken! This can serve as a great vegetarian soup as well.
- ½ lb chicken breasts, diced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 4 green onions, diced
- 1 white onion or leek, chopped
- 2 carrot chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp ghee (optional)
- ¼ cup french onions (optional)
- Add chicken, broth, water, onion, carrot, celery, salt & pepper to the slow cooker.
- Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours.
- Strain out the veggies so only broth and chicken are left.
- Pour broth back into slow cooker.
- Add mushrooms, green onions and ghee.
- Cook additional 30 minutes or until mushrooms are soft.
- To serve, ladle about 1 cup of broth into a bowl. Place a few pieces of fried onion into the soup. Top with green onion.
Of course if you’re following whole30 then don’t use the french onions. If you’re following a paleo lifestyle then you can make your own! Or just omit them all together as well.