Packed with flavor, this easy jambalaya recipe uses cauliflower rice to make it low-carb, whole30, and paleo. Make this healthy jambalaya in your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
Updated 2019 with Instant Pot instructions
Fat Tuesday! I feel like it’s super early this year. Anyway on Fat Tuesday last year I shared with you my Slow Cooker Gumbo. To-date it’s one of my most popular posts. I hope that you enjoy this jambalaya recipe just as much.
I went back and forth with which type of rice to use for this recipe – regular or cauliflower. I did a quick social media poll and 56% of my followers said they’d like to see a low-carb, whole30, paleo version of jambalaya so here you go. I used chicken breasts but of course you can use boneless, skinless thighs if you want.
I used a 1 1/2 cups of cauliflower rice. You can use up to 2 cups without having to make any modifications to the recipe. Try not to rice your cauliflower too small.
I think this has a small kick to it but I wouldn’t call it spicy. For a list of whole30 compliant sausage brands, click HERE.
- 1 lb chicken breasts (boneless, skinless), cut into pieces
- 1 lb sausage, cut into 1-inch rounds (andouille preferred if it fits your dietary restrictions)
- 1/2 lb shrimp
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups cauliflower, riced (raw)
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp oil (for IP)
- Add all ingredients except the shrimp and rice to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-6 (add an hour or so if you’re using dark meat)
- Stir in shrimp and cauliflower rice and cook an additional 15 minutes or until shrimp are no longer pink. Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Turn on the IP and select Sauté. Once hot add oil and sausage and cook a few minutes until sausage is browned. Remove sausage from the IP.
- Add chicken and sear on each side. Remove chicken from the IP.
- Add bell pepper, onion, and celery to the IP and cook 3-5 minutes or until soft. Pour broth into the Instant Pot, scraping off any browned bits from the bottom. Add garlic, diced tomatoes, salt, garlic powder, paprika, oregano, thyme, pepper, cayenne, and onion powder. Stir to mix well.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook for 5 minutes (7 minutes if using chicken thighs). Quick release pressure.
- Stir in cauliflower rice and shrimp. Cook uncovered on the WARM setting 10-15 minutes or until cauliflower is soft and shrimp is cooked pink (approx 10 minutes). Remove bay leaves before serving.
If you want you can absolutely use regular rice if you want. Stir in 1 cup of cooked rice when you add the shrimp.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive money if you make a purchase using one of the links. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.