Mashed sweet potatoes? Yes! Pop those sweet potatoes in the slow cooker this holiday season for simple & healthy spin on a side dish classic.
With Thanksgiving a couple of weeks away, I’m going to be sharing with you some of my favorite holiday dishes over the next week. I took a poll on Instagram stories asking what kind of Thanksgiving recipes my followers would like to see out of me. Thousands responded and the winners were: appetizer, side dish and turkey. First up in that trio is this side dish.
Yes these are sweet potatoes! It amazes me how many yam eaters people don’t know that white sweet potatoes exist. You can find them in your local grocery store, usually right next to orange yams. The Kitchn has a great article about the difference between sweet potatoes and yams here.
Easy! Throw everything and let it cook. And it’s of course this recipe is also both whole30 and paleo.
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled & chopped
- 1 cup low-sodium broth
- 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Almond milk to taste
- Add potatoes, broth, ghee/coconut oil, salt, and pepper to the slow cooker.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 or LOW 4-6 or until potatoes are soft.
- Blend to desired consistency, adding almond milk when needed and salt & pepper to taste.
I used an immersion blender but you can use a potato masher or hand mixer – whatever you fancy.
You don’t have to use sweet potatoes; regular potatoes can be slow cooked too:-)