Green bean casserole in the slow cooker! Fresh green beans & a homemade cauliflower sauce replace canned items in this healthy spin on a holiday classic.
If you’re looking for a healthy green bean casserole recipe to serve at your next holiday dinner, here you go. Canned green beans and soup are replaced with fresh green beans and cauliflower sauce.
The homemade sauce is both paleo and whole30 friendly. While creating your own cauliflower sauce might seem daunting, it seriously only took me 20 minutes. And the creaminess and garlic/ghee flavors in the sauce paired perfectly with the fresh green beans. Never say never but I don’t think I’ll ever make green bean casserole using canned ingredients again. You can cook your cauliflower the way you want to, I chose to steam mine in my use my Oster food steamer.
This is one of those recipes that be as healthy as you make it. If you follow a paleo or whole 30 lifestyle then simply omit the french fried onions or if you’re feeling fancy you can even make your own version. I did not make my own this time.
- 2 lbs fresh green beans, trimmed & snapped
- 1⅓ cups fried french onions
- 1 large head cauliflower, trimmed, chopped, and cooked (approx 24 ounces)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- Spray slow cooker lightly with cooking spray.
- Add green beans to the slow cooker.
- Add cooked cauliflower, garlic, broth, almond milk, salt, pepper, and garlic salt to the food processor. Pulse until it smooth. Add additional almond milk or broth until the sauce reaches your desired consistency. If needed, add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour sauce on top of fresh green beans. Add ⅔ of the fried french onions. Stir to mix well.
- Cover and cook 2-3 HIGH or LOW 4-6.
- Stir. Top with remaining french fried onions.
I cooked this in my Crock-Pot 3.5-Quart Casserole Slow Cooker but you don’t need a casserole-specific slow cooker. You can make this in any 4-6 quart.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive money if you make a purchase using one of the links. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/