Want turkey breast & gravy that’s healthy, juicy and flavorful? Then free up your oven and cook your turkey in the slow cooker!
Thanksgiving is almost here! I couldn’t let the holiday get too close without giving you a slow cooker turkey recipe. A wholeo30, paleo, turkey recipe!
Thanksgiving can be healthy. It’s all about making healthy choices…which I find hard during the holidays too. Recipes like this help. I used a boneless turkey breasts but you can use bone as well. The main seasoning on the turkey is poultry seasoning. It’s a combo of ground sage, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, nutmeg, and pepper. You should be able to find it at your local grocery.
I like a thick gravy, hence the thick slurry. The ratio for an arrowroot flour slurry is 2:1. If you like a less thick gravy, use less slurry. If you like thicket, use more. The good thing is that you can add more slurry as you go.
Personally I don’t find the arrowroot flour alters the taste but I still like to add a bit of garlic seasoning to the slurry mixture before pouring it into the slow cooker. It’s an optional step.Print
- 4.5–5 lb turkey breast
- 1 onion, sliced (I used 2 small)
- 1 tbsp poultry seasoning
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Slurry: 1/2 cup arrowroot flour, 1 cup water, 1 tsp garlic powder
- Add onion, broth, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Season turkey generously with salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning. Top with ghee. Add to the slow cooker.
- Cook HIGH 3-4 or LOW 6-8.
- Remove turkey from the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix together slurry ingredients. Pour slurry into the slow cooker. Stir to mix well. Heat an additional 10-20 minutes or until gravy has thickened.
This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on one of the product links, I might receive compensation. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.