Pumpkin chili has all the flavors of chili you love with a hint of pumpkin mixed in. Make this autumn-inspired chili in your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
Updated Oct 2019 with Instant Pot instructions
I LOVE chili. As you can probably tell from all chili recipes I have on this blog. I eat it year-round even when if it’s 90 degrees outside (like now). As I’ve said over and over, chili is the perfect slow cooker recipe. It’s easy to make, hard to mess up and the low-and-slow cooking really brings out the different flavors.
What Ground Meat To Use
As with most of my recipes, you can your preferred ground meat whether it be ground beef, turkey, pork, or chicken. I uses 2 pounds of Felton Angus ground beef but I have also made this using ground chicken. One pound ground beef and one pound ground sausage would be a nice combo as well.
Other chili recipes you might enjoy:
Potatoes Instead Of Beans
I know there’s a debate around whether or not beans belong in chili. Personally I like beans in my chili but I wanted this recipe to be paleo and whole30. I made a version of this bean-free but it felt like was missing something so I added potatoes. Sweet potatoes to be exact. What you see in the pics and video here are white sweet potatoes. You can use your preferred potato whether it be russet or regular sweet potatoes. Or you can simply omit them all together. If you are looking to use beans (not paleo or whole3) instead of potatoes in this recipe, I would recommend 15 ounces of red kidney beans (drained & rinsed if using canned).
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili VIDEO:
Is the pumpkin in this chili overpowering? No, not at all. You can even add a cup of additional pumpkin if you like.Print
- 2 lbs ground meat of your choice or 1 lb ground meat and 1 lb ground sausage
- 1 lb sweet potatoes or potatoes, peeled & diced
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces broth (beef broth if using ground beef, chicken broth if using ground chicken or turkey)
- 15 ounces pure pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp oil (for pressure cooker)
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 3-4 or LOW 6-8.
- Set Instant Pot to the high saute setting. Once hot, add oil.
- Add ground meat and cook until browned, 3-5 minutes, crumbling the meat as it cooks. You might need to do this in batches. Remove meat from pressure cooker and drain the grease if needed.
- Add bell pepper, garlic and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Stir in ground meat and all remaining ingredients, close and seal vent.
- Select manual setting and set time for 20 minutes. Quick-release pressure when cook time is completed.
This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on one of the product links, I might receive compensation. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.