This pumpkin chili is not only hearty but healthy! Both paleo and whole30 compliant, you can make this in your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
Updated Oct 2018 with Instant Pot instructions
It’s autumn. Can I start with the pumpkin recipes now? This is the first of three pumpkin recipes coming this week. After that, I’ll try to restrain myself I promise.
I LOVE chili. As you can probably tell from all chili recipes I have on this blog. I eat it year-round even when if it’s 90 degrees outside. As I’ve said over and over, chili is the perfect slow cooker recipe.
You can use your preferred ground meat whether it be ground chicken, pork, beef or turkey. I used 2 pounds of ground chicken. I browned my meat it first but it’s not necessary just an optional step. I also used white sweet potatoes but you can use the potato that fits your dietary needs. Those are white sweet potatoes:-) Yes this is paleo.Print
Slow Cooker/Instant Pot Pumpkin Chili (Whole30, Paleo)
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 10 mins
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2 lbs ground meat of your choice
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, diced
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces pure pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 or LOW 4-6.
- Set Instant Pot to the high saute setting. Heat oil.
- Add ground sausage and beef and cook until browned, 3-5 minutes, crumbling the meat as it cooks. You might need to do this in batches. Drain fat and remove from Instant Pot.
- Add bell pepper, garlic and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4-6 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Stir in ground meat and all remaining ingredients, close and seal vent.
- Select manual setting and set time for 20 minutes. Quick-release pressure when cook time is completed.
Nutritional info calculated using ground chicken since that’s what I used.
Slow cooker or Instant Pot? How will you make this? Having made it in both, I can honestly say I don’t have an opinion either way. Both good!
Chili is better the next day right?? You can also freeze this.
This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on one of the product links, I might receive compensation. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.