Turkey chili is an easy, comforting chili that can be served year-round. Make this chili in your slow cooker or electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot).
Growing up whenever my Mother made chili, it was turkey chili. My father doesn’t eat red meat so rather than make a separate chili for him, we all got turkey chili. I’ve literally been eating turkey chili my entire life. I love it now as much as I did as a kid.
Using Ground Turkey
This is a turkey chili that’s intended to be made with ground turkey. Having said that if you find yourself with a different ground meat and you want to make this recipe, go ahead and swap it in. You don’t need to make any other modifications to the recipe.
Homemade Chili Seasoning Blend
You know I’m all about homemade seasonings. This recipe uses my go-to homemade chili seasoning blend. I pretty much use it or a version of it in all of my chili recipes. It includes the usual chili ingredients: chili powder, cumin, salt, paprika. There’s a small kick but I definitely wouldn’t categorize this as spicy.
Do you put beans in your chili? I know that’s up for debate. I used salt-free, canned red kidney beans that were drained and rinsed. Black beans, pinto, garbanzo beans…you can substitute whichever beans you like in this case. If you use dry beans, be sure to pre-soak them overnight first. Or can simply omit the beans all together. If you do omit the them, this recipe is low-carb, paleo and whole30.
For the tomatoes, this recipes uses approximately 45 ounces. I like to add a combo of crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Absolutely switch that combo up if you want. For example when I don’t have crushed tomatoes, I use all diced tomatoes instead.
Other chili recipes you might enjoy:
Serving & Storing The Chili
Topping suggestions for this chili include green onions, cheese, sour cream, and chopped herbs like chives. To store the chili, let it cool before packing it away. Store the leftover chili in the frig for up to 3 days or the freezer for 4-6 months.
Instant Pot Turkey Chili VIDEO:
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 10 ounces diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 ounces red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil (optional)
Optional but recommended step: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey and cook 3-5 minutes, crumbling the meat as it cooks, until no longer pink. Drain excess grease before adding the meat to the slow cooker.
- Add ground turkey and all other ingredients to slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 3-4 hours or LOW 6-8.
Electric Pressure Cooker (Instant Pot)
- Turn on the pressure cooker and select Sauté. Once hot add oil, ground turkey, and diced onion to the pot. Cook 5-7 minutes, crumbling the turkey as it cooks. You might need to do this in batches. Drain fat excess grease.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients. Close lid and seal valve. Set Bean/Chili or LOW setting for 20 minutes. Natural release pressure for 5 minutes then quick release any remaining pressure.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive money if you make a purchase using one of the links. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/