Using Indian cuisine spices & ingredients, this chili is hearty & flavorful. Make this Indian spiced chili in your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
Updated 2020 with Instant Pot instructions
Poultry Of Your Choice
Since this is an Indian spiced chili, the recipe calls for your preferred ground poultry instead of ground beef or sausage. In general the country of India does not consumes a lot of meat. Hindus believe the cow to be a sacred symbol of life that should be protected hence why they do not eat beef. Almost 80% of the population in India identifies as Hindu. I suggest you use ground chicken or ground turkey in this recipe. You can even use a combination of the two. Having said that, yes this chili can absolutely be made with ground beef as well.
Using Garam Masala
Garam masala is a spice blend popular is South Asian cooking. It’s a staple in Indian cuisine used in everything from curries to soups. The spices used to create garam masala varies by region but the common ones include cloves, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, and chili powder. Garam masala not spicy but has a very strong flavor & aroma. Yellow curry powder is a good substitute for the garam masala.
OTHER CHILI RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
Garbanzo Beans or Potatoes
You can make this Indian spiced chili two different ways: using garbanzo beans (chickpeas) or using potatoes. Having made it both ways I can honestly say I don’t think one way tastes better than the other, it’s more personal preference. What are your dietary needs? Garbanzo beans, are a high-protein legume so if you are following a paleo or whole30 diet then you will need to use potatoes because chickpeas are not compliant. If you go the potato route, you can use your preferred potato in this recipe. Having said that, some potatoes work better than others. Waxy potatoes always work best with slow cooker & pressure cookers because they hold their shape during the cooking process. If you use a non-waxy potato, I suggest you cut the potato into larger pieces than you usually would. This will help them hold their shape during the cooking process and not turn mushy on you.
- 2 pounds ground poultry
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 15 ounces cooked garbanzo beans (drained & rinsed) or 1 pound potatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons garam masala or curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more)
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil (for pressure cooker)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground chicken until no longer pink.
- Add ground chicken along with all other ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-6.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.
- Turn on the pressure cooker and select sauté. Once hot add oil and ground poultry, bell pepper, & onion to the pot. Cook 5-7 minutes or until the poultry is no longer pink and vegetables re soft. Crumble the ground poultry as it cooks. Add garlic & cook an additional minute. Drain grease if you need to.
- Add the garbanzo beans (or potatoes), garam masala (or curry powder), chili powder, cumin, salt, coriander, and pepper to the pressure cooker. Stir to mix well. Pour crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce on top. DO NOT STIR.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook for 20 minutes. Quick release pressure.
nutritional facts use garbanzo beans
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive money if you make a purchase using one of the links. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/