No beans necessary! Omit the beans and you have a delicious low-carb, keto chili. Make this paleo/whole30 chili recipe in your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
I never thought I would like a bean-free chili until I made this now I don’t know if I’ll ever add beans to my chili again. Ok I’m exaggerating, of course I will add beans to chili again but still, I can honestly say I didn’t miss them in this recipe. If this chili recipe sounds familiar it’s because it’s based on Slow Cooker/Instant Pot Brisket Chili. When I say based on, I mean took the exact recipe and replaced the brisket with ground beef & sausage. The brisket chili recipe was recently updated to lower the carb count by replacing half of the diced tomatoes with low-sodium beef broth (or bone broth). The updated version is reflected here.
Using Other Ground Meats
For this chili I used a combination of ground beef and ground pork sausage. If you don’t eat pork, you can use a beef sausage or all ground beef. Don’t eat red meat? Make this a low-carb turkey chili by simply using ground turkey and turkey sausage. Ground chicken is another option. Or even a combination of ground chicken and turkey sausage. You see where I’m going here.
Browning Your Meat
Should you brown your meat before adding it to the slow cooker? I always do specifically so I can drain the excess grease out before I start my chili. But that’s just me; there’s nothing I hate more than a greasy chili. If you are using a very lean ground meat, you may find that you don’t need brown it before adding it to the slow cooker. Even when using the electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot), I drain my grease.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1–2 tbsp chili powder (I use 2)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Optional but recommended: add oil to a large pan over medium-high heat. Add ground beef & sausage to pan and cook a few minutes until meat is browned. Drain excess grease.
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 3-4 hours, LOW 6-8.
- Turn on the IP and select Sauté. Once hot add oil to the pot. Add the ground beef, sausage, & onion and cook a few minutes until meat is browned and onion begins to soften. Drain grease if you need to.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the IP. Stir to mix well.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook for 20 minutes. Natural release pressure for 5 minutes then manually the remaining pressure.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive money if you make a purchase using one of the links. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/