These low-carb cheesesteaks are so easy to make you wouldn’t believe it. Everything, including the cheese, cooks together in this slow cooker recipe.
I’m on a low carb kick while I’m recipe testing for my latest cookbook. It’s going to be a slow cooker low carb one! I’m not sure yet if this recipe will make it in; maybe a modified version. Anyway, I’m excited to share it here now because the cookbook won’t be out for a while.
This is another easy recipe using ingredients you probably already have in your house. I made this with and without the steak seasoning and I honestly think it’s better with it. If you don’t have a store-bought steak seasoning on, hand see below for my homemade blend.
Since the beef is sliced thin, it won’t need to cook as long as most slow cooker red meat recipes call for. Just a couple of hours on high or a few on low and this is ready to serve. I added a tablespoon of ghee because I want this to lean towards keto. You can increase or decrease the ghee amount to whatever fits your dietary needs. Or omit it entirely and extra-virgin olive oil instead. I used 2 different colored bell peppers, red & green but that’s not necessary, you can use 2 green bell peppers.
6 or 8 slices? Depends on how cheesy you want your cheesesteaks.
No, you don’t have to add the cheese into the slow cooker. If you’re not going to serve the dish right away, then I recommend holding off. If you want to keep this paleo and whole30 then simply omit the cheese all together.Print
- 2 lbs beef sirloin, sliced
- 6–8 slices provolone cheese
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter or ghee
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon parsley
- 1/4 tsp salt (if your steak seasoning doesn’t include it)
- Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker EXCEPT the provolone cheese. Stir to mix well.
- Cook high 2-3 hours, low 4-6.
- Stir to mix again and add provolone cheese slices in a thin layer across the top of the mixture.
- Cook an additional 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
You can serve this on some bread! This doesn’t have to be low carb if you don’t want it to. Grab your preferred chilly cheesesteak bread. Or just eat it as-is, meat & cheese. Whatever is your fancy.
Homemade seasonings are always better than store-bought. Need a steak seasoning? Try my homemade blend: