Coconut milk and flavorful spices are used on this low-carb, paleo, and whole30 turkey recipe. Make these turkey legs in your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
Updated 2019 with Instant Pot instructions
Anyone else love the huge turkey legs that Disney sells? I was there recently; while I didn’t have a chance to have on there, I left feeling inspired.
Using Turkey Legs
My local grocery store almost always has turkey legs. Because of them being readily available, I have come to love cooking turkey legs. Turkey legs are a good choice for the slow cooking. Dark meat poultry in general is a good cut for a slow cooker or pressure cooker (Instant Pot). The method of slow cooking tenderizes the even toughest cut of poultry like turkey legs. I don’t expect you to find turkey legs the size of the ones they serve at Disneyland. I used 4 turkey legs that were approximately 1/2 pound each. If you can’t find turkey legs, you can substitute your favorite cut of chicken instead. I suggest using bone-in chicken so they’re no change to the cook time.
Other turkey recipes you might enjoy:
Thai Inspired Flavors
This recipe has been updated. Originally it was called 5-Ingredients Thai turkey legs that included a lemon-garlic seasoning. It’s still a Thai-inspired dish. I removed the store-bought lemon-garlic seasoning for other spices but it’s still a Thai-flavored recipe using spices that are readily available including cumin, coriander, nutmeg, lime juice, and cilantro.
Slow Cooker Coconut Turkey Legs VIDEO:
Broil The Skin
After this is done cooking, I like to broil the turkey legs in the oven to crisp the skin. This is an optional but recommended step. If you choose to do this, use tongs to remove the turkey legs from the slow cooker or pressure cooker because they will be hot. The meat will also be very tender. My legs usually fall apart a bit when I take them out.Print
- 4 small turkey legs (approximately 2 pounds total)
- 15 ounces coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (for garnish)
- Add turkey legs to the slow cooker.
- In a medium size bowl mix together coconut milk, lime juice, garlic, salt, cumin, coriander, pepper, and nutmeg. Pour mixture over turkey legs.
- Cook HIGH 3-4 hours or LOW 6-8.
- Garnish with cilantro before serving.
- Mix together salt, cumin, coriander, pepper, and nutmeg. Sprinkle seasoning evenly over turkey legs.
- Pour coconut milk & lime juice into the bottom of the pressure cooker. Add turkey legs on top.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook for 25 minutes (make sure internal temperature for the turkey is 165° Fahrenheit). Natural release 10 minutes then quick release remaining pressure.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.
Optional but recommended step for both slow cooker & pressure cooker: Use tongs (the turkey legs will be hot) and remove them from the appliance. Place the turkey legs on a baking sheet and BROIL them in the oven for approximately 3-5 minutes to crisp the skin.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive money if you make a purchase using one of the links. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/