Bangers and mash also known as sausages and mashed potatoes is traditionally a hearty and comforting dish. This lighter, cleaned up version uses a simple homemade gravy and mashed cauliflower to make it lower carb, paleo, and whole30 compliant.
I’m making this because St. Patrick’s Day is coming up. BUT after doing a bit of research, I’m finding that it’s not actually a traditional Irish recipe. That’s okay, I’m still rounding out my St. Patrick Day’s recipe collection with this one. My sausages were uncooked. I pre-browned them in a skillet first.
I used the homemade gravy from my Slow Cooker Beef Tips & Gravy (Paleo/Whole30) recipe. It’s simple, compliant, and full of flavor; the perfect gravy to simmer the bangers and onions in all day.
The arrowroot/water slurry is used as a thickener. Using it will make the consistency more of a traditional gravy.
I used mashed cauliflower. I was going to used mashed white sweet potatoes but my husband announced he wanted to eat more low-carb/keto so I went with cauliflower. This recipe isn’t exactly low-carb but the cauliflower is lower in carbohydrates than potatoes. Your mash can be potatoes or mashed cauliflower.
Speaking of mashed cauliflower, I’ll let you in on my secret to make them fluffy each time – don’t use any liquid. That’s right, when it’s time to mashed the cauliflower down, I don’t use any liquid. No almond milk, no water, nada. Cooked cauliflower will release enough liquid in the food processor.
Thick sausages work best. For a list of Whole30 compliant sausage brands, click HERE.Print
Slow Cooker Bangers & Mash (Paleo, Whole30)
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 15 mins
- Yield: 5 servings
- 16 ounces bangers aka sausages
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tsp oil of your choice or ghee
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Slurry: 3 tbsp Arrowroot flour, 6 tbsp water
- 1 head cauliflower, approx 2 lbs
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Heat your preferred oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausages and brown each side, approx 3-5 min. Optional step is to add onions to the skillet once the sausages are done to brown them as well.
- Add sausages and onion to the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix together the gravy ingredients EXCEPT the slurry ingredients of arrowroot flour and water.
- Pour gravy into the slow cooker. Stir gently.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hour or LOW 4-6.
- In a small bowl mix together slurry. Pour slurry into the slow cooker and stir. Cook an additional 10-15 minutes on HIGH or until gravy has thickened to your liking.
- Cook cauliflower using your preferred method.
- Blend cauliflower, ghee, salt and pepper until smooth.
Serve sausages on top of mashed cauliflower.
Cook the cauliflower your preferred way. I steam mine. I like to throw the steamed, drained cauliflower (careful, it will be hot) in the food processor with the ghee, salt, and pepper but you can also use a blender, immersion blender, potato masher, etc. Whatever works for you.
I used 5 sausages that totaled 16 ounces but I could have fit another 1 or 2 sausages in my 3.5-quart slow cooker.
This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on one of the product links, I might receive compensation. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.