This easy lemon chicken recipe can be made in the slow cooker or Instant Pot. Low-carb, paleo, and whole30, serve this family-friendly recipe year-round.
So easy! I have made this several times now and what I really love about this recipe is that it’s so freaking simple.
Homemade Lemon Sauce
As with a lot of my recipes, this is is all about the sauce. You can use water or broth. I’ve honestly used both and I like it both ways. Broth obviously adds a bit more flavor but it’s only 1/3 cup so water will work just fine.
What Type Of Chicken To Use
Dark meat works better in the slow cooker because it’s less likely to dry out. I have always used chicken thighs and/or legs when making this. Having said that, as with the majority of my recipes it doesn’t matter what cut of chicken you use, it can be skin-on, skinless, bone-in, boneless, etc. If you do choose to use white meat, lower the cooking time by an hour or more in the slow cooker and 2-3 minutes for the electric pressure cooker. This is so the chicken doesn’t overcook. The meat won’t be fully submerged when the food starts cooking. Don’t worry, it’s supposed to be like this. When I use my electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot) and skinless chicken, I don’t brown the meat first. I just add it in to the appliance raw. I pretty much only saute my chicken when using my pressure cooker if it has its skin. You can use anywhere between 2-3 pounds of chicken without having to modify any measurements. I used 3 pounds of skin-on chicken thighs.
Broiling The Skin
When I use a cut of chicken that has skin on it, I almost always remove the chicken from the slow cooker to broil it. What can I say, I like crispy skin. This is an optional step of course. I highly recommend you pour the leftover lemon juice from the slow cooker or Instant Pot on top of the chicken before serving.
What To Serve This With
What to serve this with? There are so many options. Personally I like to eat this with mashed cauliflower and a small salad. Other suggestions include: mashed potatoes, with rice (cauliflower rice or regular white or brown rice), side of potatoes or sweet potatoes, with couscous, quinoa, or zoodles. It will depend on your current dietary restrictions.
Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken VIDEO:
- 2–3 pounds chicken (see blog post)
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil (for pressure cooker)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (approximately 4 medium or 3 large lemons)
- 2 tablespoons water (add an additional 2 tbsp water for pressure cooker)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt (or 1 teaspoon salt & 1 minced garlic clove)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Add chicken to the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix together sauce ingredients. Pour sauce over chicken. Top chicken with lemon slices.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-6.
Electric Pressure Cooker (Instant Pot)
- Set Instant Pot to the high saute setting. Once hot, add oil and chicken and brown chicken, skin-side down approx 3-5 minutes. Remove chicken & turn off the heat. If you’re using skinless chicken, skip this step.
- In a small bowl, mix together sauce ingredients. Add the sauce to the pressure cooker & deglaze the bottom by of the pressure cooker by scraping all the bits off off with a wooden spoon.
- Add chicken. Top with lemon slices.
- Close lid and seal vent. Select high pressure for 12 minutes. Quick release pressure when done.
This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on one of the product links, I might receive compensation. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/.