Steak & potatoes are the ultimate comfort food. But they can be healthy too! This slow cooker version produces tender meat that’s both whole30 and paleo.
I was raised back East. Even though I’ve lived in California for almost 20 years now, at the end of the day I’m a Midwestern, steak & potatoes girl at heart. And even though it’s September and still 80 degrees out, I’m eating steak and potatoes! It’s too hot to be outside standing over a grill.
The great thing about this recipe is that even though it’s hearty, I tried to make it as healthy as possible by using low-sodium beef broth and a homemade steak seasoning. I added mushrooms because I love mushrooms on my steak but it’s an optional ingredient. Sliced bell peppers are a great addition as well. Don’t have a steak seasoning to use? Make your own!
Use your favorite cut of steak! Except filet. Filet actually doesn’t cook well in slow cookers. The short answer on why is too tender, cooks too fast. Anyway the point is even though I used ribeye you can use cuts like sirloin or even short rib. I used red potatoes but you can use your preferred potato, sweet potato or even butternut squash.
- Steak & Potatoes
- 2 lbs ribeye steak
- 1 lb potatoes or sweet potatoes, quartered
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tbsp steak seasoning
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp ghee, melted
- Add potatoes and onion to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add steak and mushroom (if using) on top.
- In a small bowl, mix together sauce ingredients. Pour sauce into the slow cooker, wetting all the ingredients.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-6.