Slow cooker or Instant Pot steak & potatoes is a simple yet comforting meal. Make this hearty recipe with no fuss but plenty of flavor.
Updated 2019 with Instant Pot instructions
I have lived in California for over 20 years now, but I still consider myself an East Coaster since that’s where I was raised until I left for college. Having spent 12 years between Cleveland & Chicago, I am a Midwesterner, steak & potatoes girl at heart. And even though it’s 80 degrees out, I’m eating steak and potatoes. It’s too hot to be outside standing over a grill so of course using my slow cooker.
What Type Of Steak To Use?
What type of steak do you prefer? I used rib-eye steaks because they’re my favorite cut. Sirloin, strip steak, even short ribs – they all work well with this recipe. I suggest you stay away from tender cuts like filet mignon. Filet actually doesn’t cook well in slow cookers; it’s too tender and will cook too fast.
What Type Of Potatoes To Use
For my potatoes, I went with yellow potatoes because waxy potatoes hold their shape better with slow cooking. You can substitute another type of potato like sweet potatoes or even butternut squash. If you do, I suggest you cut them in larger chunks than usual. This will help them not turn to mush during the long cook time.
The great thing about this recipe is that even though it’s hearty, I tried to make it as healthy as possible by using low-sodium beef broth and a homemade steak seasoning. I added mushrooms because I love mushrooms on my steak but it’s an optional ingredient. Sliced bell peppers are a great addition as well.
Other steak recipes you might enjoy:
Don’t have a steak seasoning? Here’s my homemade blend:
- 2 lbs steak
- 1 lb potatoes or sweet potatoes, quartered
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tbsp steak seasoning (see blog post)
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp oil (for IP)
- Add potatoes, onion, and mushroom (if using) to the bottom of the slow cooker. Add steak on top.
- In a small bowl, mix together sauce ingredients. Pour sauce into the slow cooker, wetting all the ingredients.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-6.
- Season steaks with steak seasoning and rosemary.
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute. Once hot, add the oil and beef. Brown beef on both sides, approximately 3-5 minutes per side. Remove steaks.
- Add onion, garlic, and mushrooms and cook a few minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Add broth and deglaze the bottom by of the pressure cooker by scraping all the bits off off with a wooden spoon.
- Add steaks and potatoes.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook 15 minutes. Natural release pressure 10 minutes, then quick release remaining pressure.
Side dish suggestions are your favorite green vegetables or a simple salad.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive money if you make a purchase using one of the links. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/