In my opinion, chicken wings go together with game day like peanut butter & jelly. It’s almost as if I can’t watch a sporting event unless there is a big old pile of wings in front of me.
This is the first time in 15 years that I didn’t fill out a bracket for the NCAA men’s basketball tournament. Further more, this is the first time in over 7 years that I didn’t host a bracket challenge for family and friends. What came over me this year I do not know. I will be back next year…along with the University of Arizona Wildcats (shameless plug for my alma mater)!! Back to the wings. If you want your wings to have crisp skin then you will need to broil them in the oven either before or after cooking. I prefer to broil my wings prior to adding them to the slow cooker with the sauce. Why? Because in my experience, slow cooking makes the meat so tender that it will literally fall off the bone when you take it out the crock-pot. Broiling the wings before helps the meat stay in-tact while still keeping the skin crisp.
This uses the same homemade teriyaki sauce that I used in my Baked Pineapple Teriyaki Pork Chops recipe. It’s very easy to make and you can use it on a number of things. There are a number of reasons I recommend homemade sauce vs store-bought but the main ones are: 1) it’s cheaper and you probably already have all the ingredients in your pantry AND 2) you have control of what you’re eating. Meaning no added preservatives or other junk. Look at the back of a store-bought teriyaki sauce and see how many of the ingredients you are even familiar with. Right.
The teriyaki sauce makes enough for 1 pound of wings but you can easily double or triple the recipe. The sauce will be a little on the watery side unless you add the cornstarch/water slush at the end.
- 1 lb chicken wings
- ⅓ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp organic honey
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- ½ tsp sesame seeds (optional)
- ½ tsp cornstarch + ½ tsp water (optional)
- Optional step but recommended: Line baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with cooking oil. Lay wings on baking sheet and BROIL 3-5 minutes on each side until lightly crisp.
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, garlic, vinegar, water, honey and ginger.
- Add chicken wings to bottom of slow cooker.
- Pour sauce on top.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-6.
- Remove wings from slow cooker.
- Mix together cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Pour mixture into slow cooker and cook on HIGH 15-20 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Pour sauce over the wings.
- Top with sesame seeds (optional)
With or without sesame seeds??