Buffalo chicken chili is an easy chili that can be served year-round. Make this healthy paleo and whole30 chili recipe in your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
Updated 2019 with Instant Pot instructions
It’s no secret I love a good chili recipe. Like roasts, chili is one of those recipes that’s made for the slow cooker. This healthy buffalo chicken chili recipe has been on my blog for over 2 years now and it’s long overdue for an update. I updated the recipe to remove the bottle of buffalo sauce that was used. I removed the store-bought sauce because I didn’t want you to have to buy a specific paleo or whole30 buffalo sauce to be able to make this recipe; the new recipe you see here uses ingredients you probably already have in your house like hot sauce and chili powder. But…it’s no longer a 5-ingredient recipe. Also added below are instructions for the Instant Pot and a new video.
Other chili recipes you might enjoy:
Buffalo Chicken Flavors
Buffalo chicken chili is inspired by the flavors of buffalo chicken wings. Buffalo chicken wings are wings that are fried then coated in a sauce consisting of hot sauce & melted butter, and served with a side of carrots and celery. I took the flavors of buffalo chicken wings, paired them with traditional chili flavors and voilà – here you have buffalo chicken chili.
Using Chicken Breasts
I understand that ground chicken can sometimes be hard to find or on the expensive side. If you want, you can substitute the ground chicken for boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs. If you go this route, skip step number 1 in the slow cooker and Instant Pot (pressure cooker) instructions. Boneless, skinless breasts or thighs do not need to be browned before cooking. Simply add the chicken to the slow cooker or Instant Pot along with the rest of the ingredients. No other modifications to the recipe needs to be made. When done cooking, remove the chicken, shred it and stir it back in to the chili. That’s it.
Using Sweet Potatoes
Since this buffalo chicken chili recipe is paleo and whole30, I did not use any beans. Since it’s bean-free but not necessarily low-carb, I wanted to add a potato replacement so I went with sweet potatoes. If sweet potatoes aren’t your jam, you can use your preferred potato (waxy potatoes work better) or just omit it all together.
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Chili VIDEO:
- 2 lb ground chicken
- 3/4 cup hot sauce
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled & diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2–3 celery stalks, diced
- 2 medium-size carrots, peeled & diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp oil
- Heat large skillet. Once hot, add oil and ground chicken and cook a few minutes until no longer pink. Drain grease.
- Add chicken along with all other ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook HIGH 2-3 hours or LOW 4-6.
- Turn on the IP and select Sauté. Once hot add oil, and ground chicken and cook until no longer pink. Drain grease if you need to. Remove chicken and add onion, bell pepper, carrots, and celery & cook a few minutes until vegetables soften.
- Add chicken back into the pressure cooker along with all the remaining ingredients. Stir to mix well.
- Close lid and seal valve. Set high pressure and cook for 15 minutes. Quick release pressure.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive money if you make a purchase using one of the links. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/affiliates