Spaghetti squash and homemade, whole30/paleo meatballs cook together in this super easy and healthy one-pot meal.
Spaghetti squash and meatballs. My go-to slow cooker meal when I don’t know what to cook but I have some basic ingredients in my house. I pretty much always have a spaghetti squash, some ground meat and diced tomatoes on hand. Which brings me to something. Guys, I am so disappointed. After I made this delicious dinner, my husband made a confession. He doesn’t really like spaghetti squash. Say what?!? Who did I marry?? Ugh okay. I guess I’ll just start buying smaller spaghetti squash for one.
The meatballs. The most important part of this recipe. These meatballs are healthy being both paleo and whole30. Don’t worry, they’re also super easy and definitely not lacking in flavor. For the ground meat, I used Jennie-O’s extra-ground lean ground turkey breast. Extra-lean ground turkey breast was made for the slow cooker because the low and slow cooking keeps the lean meat super moist. You can walk away from the slow cooker and not worry about whether or not your turkey meatballs are going to dry out.
This is also a great low carb one-pot meal. Best yet, you do not have to brown the meatballs prior to adding them into the slow cooker. Everything including the squash goes in raw and cooks together. Be careful removing the spaghetti squash when it’s done because it will be soft to the touch and very hot. If it’s not soft then it needs to cook a little longer. I suggest wearing an oven mitt when removing the squash. Diced tomatoes or marinara sauce, that’s up to you.
- 2 lb spaghetti squash
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes or 20 ounces marinara sauce
- 1 lb Jennie-O extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- Pour diced tomatoes into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half, crosswise. Scoop out the seeds and add to the slow cooker, hole side down.
- Add all the meatball ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Mix together well with your hands until all the ingredients are blended together.
- Form mixture into small 1-inch size meatballs.
- Add meatballs to slow cooker in the tomato sauce.
- Cook HIGH 3-4 or LOW 6-8.
- To serve - remove spaghetti squash from the slow cooker. It will be very hot so use oven mitts. Let squash cool then rake a fork back and forth across the squash to remove its flesh into spaghetti-like strands. Top with meatballs and sauce
Click here for a coupon to save on Jennie-O products.
Samples of Jennie-O extra-lean ground turkey breast were provided for use in this recipe. The recipe and product opinions are 100% my own. For more about my disclosure policy see here: https://fitslowcookerqueen.com/about/disclosure-policy/